Here are some well-documented but under-appreciated facts about anxiety disorders.
- Anxiety disorders are very common in the United States. 40 million adults aged 18 and older are affected. That’s 18% of the population of the United States.
- Anxiety disorders are highly treatable yet only about a third of those affected are treated.
- Anxiety disorders are complex and multifactorial. Genetics, brain chemistry, personality traits, life style, and life events can contribute, trigger, or exacerbate them.
- People with anxiety disorder go to the doctor 3-5 times more than those who do not suffer from anxiety disorders. Co-existing disorders or physical illnesses can make the symptoms of anxiety worse and recovery more difficult. It is essential that patients receive comprehensive medical care, addressing their physical and emotional/ psychological needs.
- Anxiety and depression are linked. Nearly one half of patients diagnosed with depression also suffer from an anxiety disorder.
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) affects 6.8 millionadults (approximately 3% of the US population).
- 7.7 million Americans suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). That is 3.5% of the US population. Women are more likely to be affected by men.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) affects 2.2 millionAmericans.
- Anxiety disorders affect 1 in 8 children! Studies have shown that children who are not treated appropriately perform poorly in school, miss out on valuable social experiences and are more likely to engage in substance abuse.
There is hope!
The good news is that anxiety disorders are highly treatable. The vast majority of people with anxiety disorders will respond to therapy and get better. Treatment options include therapy (cognitive behavioral therapy, exposure therapy, interpersonal therapy, etc), medications (SSRIs, tricyclic antidepressants, etc), and others (yoga, meditation, weighted blankets, etc). The wonderful thing about weighted blankets is that they are completely natural and safe, and can be used in conjunction with any of the other treatment techniques.
Research studies have shown that weighted blankets successfully lower anxiety.
A recent study of dental patients with anxiety demonstrated that the deep pressure therapy of the weighted blankets successfully reduced their anxiety during dental procedures. We have prepared an infographic illustrating the details of that study.
If you or a loved one are struggling with anxiety, consider the Huggaroo weighted blanket as a supplemental form of therapy to whatever therapy you are already receiving. It is soft, beautiful, luxurious, durable, expertly crafted, and easy to care for. With proper care, it would last for years. The 36×48 inch, 7 lbs Huggaroo weighted blanket is perfect for multipurpose use around the house, whether it’s to sleep, relax on the couch or your favorite recliner, read a book, watch TV, or meditate. The 15 lb Huggaroo cooling weighted blanket is ideal for anyone over 70 lbs. We spent months creating and perfecting the Huggaroo blanket and are confident that you will love it too.